Association Congolaise Des Laboratoires
“Building a quality life”
Legal status: Acte notarié n° 8.425. Folio 37-52 Volume CCXVI du 24 Mai 2013.
1. Introduction of the role of test and calibration laboratories in facilitating trade
When the testing and calibration laboratories are accredited, the exchange of goods is facilitated by establishing multilateral agreements and the mutual trust between the 2 organizations concerning the testing results issued.
2. Who are we and why do we exist?
Launched on 17 April 2013 according to the Law n° 004/2001 of 20 July 2001 dealing with the general dispositions applying to Associations with non-profit purpose/aim and to Public Utility Establishments in DRC , we are an Association with non- profit purpose, called “Association Congolaise des Laboratoires “, in acronym , ASCOLAB.
The reasons of the creation of the ASCOLAB which gathers all sectors of the testing , analysis and calibration laboratories of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), are to promote quality in the laboratories through implementation of the QMS according to ISO/EIC 17025 : 2017 which leads to accreditation or at least the Good Practices in Laboratories.
3. What do we do?
– Promotion quality in the laboratories ;
– Promoting and facilitating the exchange of scientific and technical information between the public and private laboratories from any sectors ;
– Accompanying the laboratory members in implementing the QSM according to ISO/IEC 17025, ISO 15189 and other MS standards (ISO 10012, ISO 45001…);
– Working up for the accreditation of laboratory members.
To be a center of excellence in the sharing and emergence of new trends in laboratory professions, inspired by international best practices.
– To train the technical staff of laboratories in standards of quality management system (QMS), and in the QMS in laboratories specifically;
– To achieve the Quality Assurance of results;
– To encourage the laboratories to accreditation.
4. How we can help you/Service offering
– Training : conducting seminars, workshops , forums to improve or to acquire the knowledge of our members and according the members’ requests;
– Consultancy in implementation of QMS till to accreditation for the membership according to their demands;
– Developing and organizing proficiency testing (PT) schemes for Quality Assurance of testing results;
– Performing external audit to assess the QMS put in place for those who have not internal auditors;
– Coordinating the exchange of information and experiences between the membership for enhancing e their technical relations /skills;
– Any other activities related to quality in laboratories.
5. Impact Achieved so far
– Training : conducting seminars, workshops conducted to improve or to acquire the knowledge of our members and according the members’ requests( in quality assurance of the results for the testing, analysis and calibration laboratories) ;
– Consultancy in implementation of QMS till accreditation for the membership according to their demands as with the national supplier of drinking water , REGIDESO;
– Developing and organizing proficiency testing (PT) schemes for Quality Assurance of testing results as ASCOLAB Mineral PT Scheme launched in 2018 January ;
– Performing external audit to assess the QMS put in place for those who have not internal auditors as the internal audit performed in mining analysis of SSM laboratory which has been accredited since October 2017;
– Coordinating the exchange of information and experiences between the membership for enhancing e their technical relations /skills;,
|Classifying category of membership||Benefits to|
|Category 1||1 to 10 technical staffs|
|Category 2||11 to 30 technical staffs|
|Category 3||More than 30 technical staffs|
|Category of testing laboratories||Number of Laboratories||Scope of Laboratories|
|1. Agro Food
|37||Raw products ,foodstuffs and drinking water|
|2. Microbioloy||12||foodstuffs and drinking water
Cosmetics , drugs and medicines
|3. Pharmaceutical products/Chemistry||12||Drugs and medicines|
|4. Cosmetics products/Chemistry||12||Body lotions, nail products, toilet soaps, teeth paste, perfume, body cream, whitening lotions and creams,…|
|6. Calibration||02||Calibration and Verification of equipments|
|7.Petrochemistry||08||Petroleum chemical analysis|
|8. Non food products||15||Tobacco, cement ,detergent, soap, candles|
|9. Non destructive||01||Cabling and mills|
|10.Forensic||01||Police investigation matters|
|03||Bricks, concretes, electrical materials|
|12.Biomedical||More than 200||Biomedical analysis|
|13.Textile||06||Fabrics, threads, packaging|
|14.Geology and Mining Research||02||Soil analysis|
• Membership fees available upon request – Nothing available in ASCOLAB BANK Account because one of our big challenges is collecting the membership fees.
The few have been collected are used directly to perform activities planned.
6. Management of the MS-NLA: ASCOLAB/DRC-NLA
• Executive committee
– ASCOLAB daily management is in charge of the Executive Committee (EXCO) which is set up with 7 Administrators among whom there is a Chair helped by two Vice Chairs, a Secretary and his assistant, a Treasurer and his assistant.
– The Secretary is charged with all concerning the ASCOLAB correspondences and records. He helps the Chair in his daily administration matters.
– The Treasurer is charged with all concerning the financial management of the Association. He presents the annual accountings at the GA and prepares the ASCOLAB budget.
ASCOLAB is a Member of SRLA for technical and scientific cooperation in the quality management in the laboratories. And ASCOLAB is stakeholder of SADCA, ILAC and Member of LC/ILAC.
7. How do you contact us?
Provisionally on Avenue, Chemin des Dames,
n°8, Quartier Ma Campagne, Commune de Ngaliema ;
+ 243 81 508 2006 (CEO) / +243 81 700 9154 (Secretary)
Website: – in progress
8. Important SQAM dates
• World Metrology Day, 20 May;
Celebrated under the the patronage of the Ministry of Industries
• World Accreditation Day, 9 June;
Celebrated under the patronage of the Ministry of Trade
• World Standards Day, 14 October;
Celebrated under the patronage of the Ministry of Industries
• World Quality Day, 2nd Thursday of November;
Celebrated under the patronage of ASCOLAB and others interested stakeholders