The objectives of the SRLA are as follows:
- Establish and maintain a self-sustaining organisation whose goal is to improve the reliability of test results supplied by the conformity assessment bodies in the SADC Region;
- Be a platform for the region’s laboratory associations to raise concerns and obtain advise from peers;
- Be the regional voice of laboratories within the SADC Region and other Regional Economic Communities;
- Assist the members in adding testing, analysis and calibration capacity in every SADC Member State and provide adequate means for the exchange of information and experience;
- Improve the knowledge and skills, both technical and management, of laboratory personnel in the SADC Region;
- Provide a mechanism to help increase trade by assisting the Member State Laboratories to achieve accreditation to international standards and thus reducing the cost of trade and ensuring access in foreign markets;
- Promote accreditation of test, analysis and calibration laboratories in compliance of the requirements.